Re: Fw: Another new be all end all spark plug

To: Daryl Smith <drlsmith@telus.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Another new be all end all spark plug
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 08:59:58 -0500
The main difference in the flame spread between most of the
multi-electrode plugs and a "standard" plug seems to be that the ground
electrode doesn't block the flame front from going more toward the
center of the combustion chamber. I assume that the engineers took flame
spread into account when they design cylinder heads so that a standard
plug would work best, but I am not one of those engineers.

One other thing that I see is even though the ground electrode wears
faster than the center electrode, the center electrode does wear down,
which begs the following question. If the ground electrode has been
multiplied to allow for longer wear, what about the center electrode
wear? Seems like they should be adding multiple center electrodes also!
(As I recall the Bosch plus 4 has a rather large, flat center electrode,
which would address this issue.)

After looking at the E3 web site I find it interesting that their "about
the company" section doesn't say much about them, but rather their spark
plug design! They may have a patent that covers many electrode
configurations, those configurations may not work! Hmm I have to go now.
I think I need to design a spark plug with insulators that look like
super models, or, for us Roadster types, Mr. K! They may not work, but
who cares, if they look good! Then I'll have to design clear plug wires
so they won't get in the way of seeing the insulators. WAIT! For the
rice rockets how about insulators that glow blue! Oh Wow! How about a
whole line of anatomically shaped plugs!

Peace,
Pat

Peace,
Pat