Re: Andrews car on collectorcartraderonline 25K

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Andrews car on collectorcartraderonline 25K
From: frankr@hwcn.org (Frank Roggeband)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:02:32 -0400
Did I subscribe to the datsun-roadsters or the bash-andrew mailing list?
I seem to remember deleting the same sort of threads more than a year ago.

Assuming from the subject line the asking price is 25K. From the text of the
posting aimed at bashing Andrew two other figures are mentioned, 60K and
40K. Where I'm from 60-25=35. For someone so hung up on money maybe a $3.99
investment in a basic calculator might be a good idea. Could it be that this
person is just pissed at Andrew because he is not financially stable enough
to undertake the same sort of project? I wonder, but I need not wonder why.

By the way, I mentioned in my recent posting that my good friend and I
spent two and a half weeks stripping and repainting my 510 Wagon. We did
all the work in the old garage behind my house. Did it ourselves. Considering
that my friend is a professional bodyman his time is worth money and
so is mine, I did a couple of calculations based on a average $63/hr shop
rate using the following info.

2 professional tradesmen x 10 hours/day x 17 days = 340 hours.
340 hours x $63/hr = $21420.
$21420 + 1500 for materials = $22920.

I did that slow so anyone with a $3.99 calculator could keep up. ;-)

Now let's say that our time is worth $20/hour and not the $63/hour shop
rate. that still comes to $8300.

That was quick but hey you've got your $3.99 calculator right? :-)

Is a 510 Wagon worth $22920 or even $8300? Did I or will I ever expect
to get back what I have in time or money on this rather poor investment?
No on both counts. I'm sure Andrew and everyone else can say the same
thing. So why do we do it? Why bother?

FOR THE LOVE OF THE CAR!, that's why.

I did it for the 510. I will do it again for the roadster. I have an 89
Toyota in my shop now, ready for paint. I have a 710 in my yard that is
too good to throw out. My 94 KingCab needs some work...

So why pick on Andrew? I do the same sort of thing. So do a lot of people.
If this is a mental defect or character flaw I'll take it over anything
else that could be wrong with me.

Bash me if you like but do so off list. Let's get back to discussing
roadsters instead of petty bickering and let's not forget why we are all
here.

FOR THE LOVE OF THE CAR!

--
Frank Roggeband   | 67.5 1600, 69 1600, 71 510, 75 710, 94 KingCab 4x4
Hamilton Ontario  | http://www.hwcn.org/~ae845/Profile.html