RE: Head Torque

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Head Torque
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:36:33 -0700
I can give you part of the answer - no, don't torque the head from one end
to the other. Generally you start in the middle of the head and spiral your
way out, or in some cases, zig-zag your way out, to the ends. Here's the
pattern for the U20:
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/U20_Head_Bolt_Sequence.JPG

The U20 head is torqued in three steps: 43 lb/ft, 63 lb/ft and 65 lb/ft.

Amazingly, the factory manual says nothing about the steps or the sequence
for the R16. It only gives the final torque spec, which is 45-50 lb/ft.

Gordon