Head Torque

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Head Torque
From: JRice@koaspeer.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:43:35 -0400
Hi, I have a question for the group.

I am trying to trouble shot an intermittent problem I am having with my
Datsun '69
1600. The car is running but every once in awhile the car bogs down and I
get
a back-fire when I feather the throttle to keep the car running. I had
someone follow
me and he said when the car back fires a puff of white smoke comes out. I
am also
getting a lot of condensation in the engine and out of the exhaust pipe.

My thinking is that I have a leak in my head-gasket. I tried to tighten it
down and
my problem got worse. The car would bog down more often.

I pulled the head and have installed a new head-gasket. I am going to
change all
of the gaskets on the way out as I put everything back together.

The question I have is what is the recommended sequence for torquing down
the head?

      -  Should I start in the rear and work forward? Then proceed
backwards? Or start
      at the rear again

      -  My plan is to go through the torque sequence at 20ft lbs, 30ft
lbs, 40 ft lbs, 45 ft. lbs
      then end at 48-50 ft. lbs.

      Is this the correct way?

In addition is there a recommended torque on the exhaust, intake manifolds?

Thanks for the help,

     Jeff Rice
  Bradford, PA

'69 1600
'66 1600  Future Project.

intended
for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are
not the
intended recipient, you should delete this message.  Any disclosure,
copying, or
distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is
strictly prohibited.