Re: PO- 5 speeds in reverse!

To: Bobby Rees <rrees@digitex.net>
Subject: Re: PO- 5 speeds in reverse!
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:51:45 -0500
A friend of mine had the same problem with a late 50s VW bus. He needed
a new trans axle, so he picked up a trans from the junk yard that came
out of a bug of the same year. He swapped out the axles to the old ones
off the bus and installed it. He had 4 gears reverse and 1 forward! The
buses back then had reduction gearboxes behind each wheel, so the rear
axles rotated backwards. The ring gear on them was not hypoid, that is,
the pinion was centered on the ring gear axis and the carrier was
installed either way, depending on whether the trans axle was going into
a bug or van. I doubt he will make that mistake again!

Peace,
Pat