PO- 5 speeds in reverse!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: PO- 5 speeds in reverse!
From: "Damian Hall" <datsun_nut@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:08:25 -0300
I am slowly plugging along with my Solex 2000 and I felt a need to drive it,
if nowhere else than in the driveway.

Do date I have refurbished: the front and rear suspension and steering, the
brakes, the carbs (still in process), the cooling system and the cylinder
head. The electrics are also in process. The car has not been registered since
1985, and I have never driven it.

Well today, the sun is shining, I felt that I could move it just a little
under it's own power (it has brakes)

I put it in gear, gently let out the clutch and it moved backwards.

Ah ha, I have the shift pattern wrong (the plate is in a box) so I put it in
second gear. I let out the clutch, it moved backwards again!

Through all five gears, a lurch backwards!  Reverse? It moved ahead!

Not being familiar, and not thinking to check, I didn't notice that the PO had
installed the diff carrier UPSIDE DOWN!

Therefore, 5 backwards, 1 ahead. 'Jim Rockford' would appreciate this.

The point: Am I the first or are there others who can commiserate?

I needed to vent, thanks to all of you for your continued enthusiasm and
thanks to the vendors,

Damian Hall
69 SRL ( one step ahead, five steps backwards)
Pictou NS  Canada