Re: We're missing out of Datsun fun

To: racery@comcast.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: We're missing out of Datsun fun
From: JOver4X4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:19:02 EDT
List,

Ditto on the consumables when running the car on the track.

Some things I have run into:

    *   Alternators and starters get vibrated to death at high rpms.  I have
changed to a GM alternator with a small pulley to help this problem.
Haven't run it yet to see how much it is going to help.
    *   I will soon decide to upgrade to the gear redux starter.  My
solenoid is loose and doesn't want to tighten.
    *   Brakes wear quickly.  Your brake fluid must be superior and fresh to
avoid boiling.
    *   Tires get scrubbed and wear fast.
    *   Squeeks and rattles occur after track day.
    *   I lost a cell in the battery.  May or may not be due to racing/stiff
rear springs.  Battery is in trunk and is subject to a rough  ride.
However track days are the most fun you can have with your clothes  on.  I am
looking into joining the vintage race club in Denver (RMVR) next  year.  They
have a production class that allows small bore cars up to  1972.  Since my
car is a 68 it is not a true "vintage car", so I am happy  the rules have been
ammended to allow newer cars.   I have spent a  half day working corners for
RMVR and have to say even working the track is a  bunch of fun.  It is much
better than being in the stands as a  spectator.  Also I was very impressed
with
the quality of cars and the  attention to detail as I strolled through the
pits.  I advise getting out  to the track for fun runs, to volunteer as a
corner
worker or to run  competitively.  Any way you stack it you will have a blast.

Just my 2 cents,

John Over
68 2000 street/track
71 240  weekend driver