Re: We're missing out of Datsun fun

To: Datsun list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: We're missing out of Datsun fun
From: racery@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:32:47 +0000
assuming that your rules allow it.  Production still requires a functional
alternator of unrestricted origin...

Toby

From: Chris Coker <chriscoker@comcast.net>
To: racery@comcast.net
Cc: JOver4X4@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:59:22 +0000

Those of us who have full blown race roadsters remove the alternator
completely.

A 12 lb battery in the trunk was good for a complete National race,
and by running a larger diameter water pump pulley (from a GM small
block chevy application, with minor mods), you slow down the water
pump, which reduces the possibility of water cavitation above 7000
rpm, and also frees up a few hp.  If you get just the right size
belt, you install the belt with the pulley, and it works great.

I did run a 1-wire GM alternator for three race seasons, and only
lost a belt once.

As for consumables, use a brake fluid with a 570 degree boiling
point, and I highly recommend the KFP carbon kevlar pads and shoes.
Extremely good stopping power, and very rotor and drum friendly.
Check all your suspension bolts after every session out on the
track.  It's amazing how quickly those upper A-arm bolts can loosen up.

---
Chris Coker
Royal Oak, MI
1969 1600 Street Car (SPL311-24529)