Re: '69 2L: was intermittent start, now NO start

To: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Subject: Re: '69 2L: was intermittent start, now NO start
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:23:32 -0500
Fergus,

With the indication that the ammeter goes to full discharge when you hit
the start position, I believe you have a bad starter. Adding a push
button under the dash will not help. I know it's a pain, but pull the
starter and take it to a shop to be checked out.

Peace,
Pat

O'Farrell, Fergus wrote:

>Background: 3 months since GM 55 alt swap, new red top Optima, all signs
>of charging well. (kicks in at ~1750 rpm, white lites - a first! Ammeter
>showing what it should, goes up to ~+5-10 for a few minutes, then back
>to neutral)
>Started to have what felt like a 'dead spot' in the starter position in
>the key switch, but intermittent.  Never when hot.  Had purchased a
>pushbutton from Radio Shack and was thinking of just putting it under
>the dash.  I get a real gentle click when I do get to starter position
>on key switch, and ammeter draws down completely, but no response from
>starter.  If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the gentle click is not
>from the solenoid, (not a solid CLANK) but from one of the relays on the
>driverside inner fender.
>So, the question, with a qualifier: I have only 2-3 hours of shoptime
>before the bbq on Saturday.  Is the switch contacts cleanable to the
>average ham-handed Joe, or is installing the pushbutton a better idea?
>(ham-handed = I have swapped the starter bendix's (bendices?) in my Ol'
>VW to make 1 good one out of 2 non-op'erables, and have cleaned my share
>of cassette/VCR tape heads, but if you asked me to swap the brushes in
>an alternator I'd go and buy a rebuilt one)
>Fergus O, crutching along a '69 2L, HB, CA

-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --