Re: '69 2L: was intermittent start, now NO start

To: "Fergus O'Farrell" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Subject: Re: '69 2L: was intermittent start, now NO start
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:01:14 -0700
> I get a real gentle click when I do get to starter position
> on key switch, and ammeter draws down completely, but no
> response from starter.

If your ammeter is pegging on discharge, you've got a shorted
solenoid on the starter.

The starter itself doesn't route thru the ammeter (it pulls 200 amps
give or take), but the solenoid does. The only things (assuming no
shorted wiring) that turns on at the 'start' position is the solenoid
(which in turns activates the starter) and the ballast resistor (ignition
coil) bypass.

Oooh, see if the wire connecting to the solenoid has come loose and
is touching the frame or block! Crank the wheels hard right and use a
flashlight to look thru the wheelwell. The starter wire is a spade clip
that pushes onto the back of the solenoid.

-- John