Re: question on testing voltage regulator

To: <mtbdavid2@aol.com>, Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: question on testing voltage regulator
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:44:48 -0600
> David

> I have a '68 2000 Roadster.  The battery keeps draining. I have a new battery
> and just installed a brand new alternator.  Is there a way to test the voltage
> regulator before buying a new one?  If it is bad is there a newer replacement
> I can buy directly from Nissan?  Could there be any other problem besides the
> voltage regulator?

A question. Is the battery discharging when the car sits sits or is your
charging system not working properly? If your problem is the first issue
then your charging system could be working properly but you have a low
current drain or short to ground somewhere and you need to track it down.

I have that sort of problem in my '93 GMC P/U. If I don't drive it at least
a few miles once a week it'll drain the battery. I put a yellow top Optima
in it since we don't drive it much but it'll still go dead if I'm not
careful. I just make it a point to drive it to work or somewhere else once a
week. One of these days I'll get off my butt and track the problem down. I
might get to that now that it's cooled down a bunch here, but most of any
car work time is going to the 2000 right now.

HTH,
Ron