Slightly OT: Ennstal Classic rally in Austria

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Slightly OT: Ennstal Classic rally in Austria
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 08:43:28 -0700
I drive Towncars for a living.  As such I meet a number of people, some of
whom become friends.  One such person is a director level executive for one
of the larger high tech companies with some major facilities the Portland
metropolitan area.  He was returning home from his office in California.
During the ride home he mentioned that a friend of his at BMW offered him an
opportunity to participate in the Ennstal Classic rally in Austria
(http://www.ennstal-classic.at/eng_ennstalclassic_1148.htm).  This is a 4
day event starting July 20 and ending on the 24th.

Roadster content: Looking through at the list of cars entered in this event
there is a 1969 Datsun Sport Lady, driven by Walter Platteter and navigated
by Marion Platteter - Does anyone know who this couple might be?

BMW is entering a 1936 or 37 model 328, a car with a long and famous racing
history -- http://www.bmwworld.com/models/vintage/328.htm,
http://www.houston-bmwcca.com/gallery/monterey_328r.html, and
http://www.bmwworld.com/models/vintage/328_mille_miglia.htm.  I notice that
there is a 1937 BMW 328 listed without a navigator.  I suspect this is where
my passenger/friend fits in.

My passenger was weakly trying to justify not accepting the invitation for a
variety of weak reasons, including the fact that his wife is hosting a major
equestrian event at her horse stables that weekend.

In past conversations we have discussed his high-speed driving of various
BMW's on the German Autobahn.  In truth he is a car enthusiast.  The
excitement in his voice told me he really wants to go.  As I twisted his arm
rather hard he started complaining that I was as bad as his wife, who wants
him to take this once in a lifetime opportunity too.  I told him the biggest
regrets in life are those things that you could have done and didn't do.  As
I left him at his front door he was mumbling that logic over, and he was
beginning to think about how to keep the car on time through the event.  I
am hoping between more arm twisting from his wife and urging from his
friends he accepts, and the next time I see him I am going to ask him to
take a lot of pictures so I can post them on my web page.

After that maybe I need to introduce him to Datsun roadsters.  He would make
a very good contribution to the club.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland