RE: Insurance

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Insurance
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:01:50 -0400
Original message:
Hi all.

I am looking for some information on what companies you all use to insure
your raodsters/vintage/collectable autos.

I currently use Liberty Mutaul for the family dailys drivers, but figure
there has to be a better choice to use for insuring an antique car.

Any suggestions? Any companies to avoid??

Thanks in advance.

Tim Putland
(Dad's) '70 1600 (a restoration project)
Keep it in the family!

Hey there Tim!
I got a lot of info about this back in April. American Collectors Insurance
was one response I got... However, the majority of responses said check out
Hagerty (http://www.hagerty.com). They apparently deal specifically with
collectors cars. Most insurance companies allow you to make a "declared"
value. I was warned to make sure that the policy specifies an "agreed upon"
value. Declared value is NOT necessarily the same. As I recall, I got a
quote online and it was approx $120- $130 a year.
Here's the problem... Loreli, my 70' Silver Solex is my daily driver... my
only car... Hagerty will NOT insure your classic Datsun as a primary
vehicle. ONLY as a Classic/investment/show car. It does allow you to drive
it for recreation. It also allows you to drive it in/to shows and parades.
Heaven knows what they'd say if you spun it into a wall at Laguna Seca!!!
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Until I get another car (looking at a Pontiac Solstice. How's that for
redundancy!?!?!) I'm stuck with my State Farm at approx $850 per year.

Hope this helps!

On a personal note: I'm so glad you've gotten the chance to resto your dad's
1600. Did he buy it new? I purchased Loreli because dad's 69' 1600 was
scrapped by my stepmom after he passed away. Dad's was silver also. He'd be
proud! I'm sure your dad is proud that you're doing it too!

Matt Smith
And Loreli (she's a 70' Silver Solex)