Re: "Grand Prix" on DVD (Slightly OT)

To: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: "Grand Prix" on DVD (Slightly OT)
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 20:19:49 -0500
> Gary McCormick

> I don't know how many of you Roadsterites are also in to early Grand
> Prix racing - you know, /before/ paddle shifters, onboard computers,
> gravity-defying ground effects and 1000+ hp qualifying engines - but
> for those of you that are, there is good news. John Frankenheinmer's
> 1966 film "Grand Prix" is finally available on DVD! Amazon.com has it
> available for pre-order (release date 17 July) at a pretty good price -
> $13.95.

I've had both Grand Prix and Le Mans (Steve McQueen) on laser disc (remember
those!!) since the early '90s, and they're two of the best LDs that I've
ever seen. I paid $90 and waited 3 months for a Japanese import copy of Le
Mans. IIRC, I got it from The Lasers Edge up around Chicago. They, along
with DVD Planet (was Ken Cranes, in Westminster, CA) are still good places
to shop, but half.com and Amazon are usually cheaper, if they have the
titles you're looking for.

It's good to see that many of the older flicks are finally being re-released
on DVD. Another fairly recently released DVD title of interest to most of us
here is "Winning"  from 1966 with Paul Newman, Robert Wagner and Joanne
Woodward. In Technicolor, like both Grand Prix and Lemans (I think), there's
some great footage of mid/late '60s sports cars and Indy cars. Last year I
ordered Winning, Le Mans and several IMAX titles including "Super Speedway"
from Amazon. What a kick on a big screen with a good sound system.

Ahh..., the days of my yoout!! :>)

Ron