Re: Water tower removal soak option

To: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>, <Keith0alan@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Water tower removal soak option
From: "Mike H." <twobeaners@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 20:04:15 -0500
Make no mistake, as a boat owner, I can tell tell you, after following all
the numerous responses concerning using "stainless bolts" into aluminum, it
is NOT the PERFECT solution. There can still be severe enough corrosion to
cause problems, although not as bad as regular steel. If there are any
roadster owners who are long term boat owners as well, now is the time to
chime in! Marine supply catalogs (West Marine, etc.) offer much useful
information regarding the galvanic, corrosion activity of dissimilar metals
in contact. They sell products that specifically mitigate this issue. I will
say in general, stainless to aluminum contact in a "non-salt water"
environment is not near as severe as regular steel. In a salt water
environment, it can be as bad or worse than our experience with the thermo
housing. I have replaced all my exterior "dress" engine bolts with stainless
because they will hold their appearance "better" and are cheaper than having
them chromed. However, on my thermo tower, I chose to use regular steel
bolts heavily coated with anti-seize compound going in to the aluminum head.
I can tell you from experience, stainless can seize up really fast and tight
with itself OR aluminum! At least when there is "seizing", mild steel is
much more forgiving and less damaging to aluminum than stainless.
IMHO,
Mike Hudson '67-1600