RE: need advice on checking charging system

To: "Stephen Wan" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>, <Mtbdavid2@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: need advice on checking charging system
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 00:47:06 -0700
I installed a GM alternator over the winter.  The white wire on the two
connector plug is for the idiot light, which is also a source of excitement
for the alternator.

For my installation I used a #53 lamp in series with a switched (accessory)
power source to the white wire on the alternator.  When I turn on the power
the lamp comes on.  When the alternator begins to generate current the lamp
goes off.  That occurs with a little application of gas after starting the
engine.  The characteristics of the bulb will determine how fast the engine
has to turn before the alternator begins to work.  I tried a few light bulbs
and the #53 bulb seemed to give me a reliable turn-on at reasonable RPM's.
Sorry, the tach cable is broken, so no tach reading for now.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland
http://www.datsun2000.com