Re: transporting a rear clip?

To: Brian Reynolds <brianrreynolds@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: transporting a rear clip?
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:59:02 -0500
> -Brian Reynolds

> I've recently purchased a rear clip from a roadster - no axle, just the
> sheet metal. It has been suggested to me that I could tie this thing on
> the roof of my Ford Taurus wagon (for a 7 hour drive). I have no idea what
> it will weigh or the air drag it will cause, but I suppose I could tie the
> ropes through the windows of the rear doors of the wagon so it doesn't rip
> the roof rack right off the car. I have two choices: show up with my
> Taurus and DeWalt saw just in case I need to cut it up to go in the back
> and not on the roof, or tow a borrowed trailer for 7 hours each way, which
> would be inconvenient but possible. I really need the opinions of the more
> experienced guys on this list!

There is no way, no how, I would consider sticking something like this on
top of anything, nor would I use ropes to tie it on a trailer or in the back
of a pickup.

Either cut it up and stick it in the back of your SW, if you can get it
completely inside and close the tailgate, or get you hands on a pickup or a
trailer and secure it with good straps, using padding or cardboard where the
straps cross any edges.

At the very least sticking it on top of your wagon will drop your mileage
down into single digits and unless you drive 40 mph or slower you'll
probably tear up the rear clip, tear up the top of your wagon, have it come
loose and possibly hit another vehicle which could get you sued, or (D), all
of the above. Seriously.

My 2 cents,
Ron