Re: transporting a rear clip - part two

To: Brian Reynolds <brianrreynolds@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: transporting a rear clip - part two
From: fairladyracing@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 03:57:37 +0000
Brian:

Having done both two times, I would vote for clipping the car instead of trying
to trim two quarter panels and lining them up properly. If you are doing a
clip, the frame actually helps you, as once you have the initial cutting done,
you can set the rear body half on the frame, bolt it in place, and check your
lines.
Check at the doors, this is where it will show. Also, do not have it on
jackstands at the time you line it up and weld.
Both the cars I did were cut across the middle, but not in a straight line. Cut
thru the rockers ( only place you will need exterior body work), then the floor
pans, then the tunnel. It looked more like a jigsaw puzzle, because the cuts
went different directions. By cutting at certain reference points, it made it
much easier to cut both the front and rear the same, and to line them up
correctly. Also, no overlaps, just clean butt joints.

Hope this helps
Dan & Susan

PS: After 10 years, the new owner of one of the "splice" cars swore his was all
original until I told him to look under the car for a weld line. Apparently the
P.O. forgot to mention it!

From: Brian Reynolds <brianrreynolds@yahoo.com>