Re: transporting a rear clip - part two

To: fairladyracing@comcast.net,
Subject: Re: transporting a rear clip - part two
From: RacerY@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 04:41:51 +0000
ooo, Dan's right- don't just overlap.
But you CAN use what the British call a 'joggler'-
(I think we call it a flanging tool)
It creates an 18-ga 'step' about 3/8" back in a panel.  Then you can fit
another panel to it, using the stepped overlap to tie the 2 together.

Where this really helps is in alignment- you can use sheet metal screws until
you're ready to weld.  If you cut the flat panel a bit large, careful trimming
ensures a really tight fit.  And it creates a very strong joint, but also a
haven for rust.  So choose your poison.  I use them occasionally when repairing
panels with sections of other used panels, and when joining large, flat, not-
often- seen things like bulkheads.  It looks a lot more professional, even if
it isn't...

And do use 'features' in the parts- stamped holes are really good- to help with
alignment.

ymmv,
Toby