ARP, the result - K factors

To: <gregs672liter@netzero.net>, <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Subject: ARP, the result - K factors
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:43:23 -0500
 Hey List, and Roadster nuts.....

Interesting discussion on torque values.  We (the NESC/NASA) have been
working these issues for a few months now.  I am the lead on a Team of
experts to find a resolution to the application of dry film lubricants
on the bolts that hold the cap on motors on the Power Drive Unit (PDU)
that drives the body flaps and rudder/speed brake actuators on the Space
Shuttle.  The problem is with the DFL applied to the bolts, the K factor
decreases which (by analysis) shows we are under negative margins at the
helicoil insert (the insert can be pulled out).  By the relationship of
T=KFD (T=torque, K=K factor, F=force or preload, and D=diameter of the
bolt) one can see by using torque values for a non-DFL bolt on a DFL
bolt (lower K factor), the preload can really increase.  Through test we
demonstrated we have enough margins (system is robust) to handle the
increase in preload without pulling the insert which would result in
lose of hydraulic pressure and vehicle.  The important thing to
remember, as you all have been discussing, the K factor is a key
component in the system.  It can vary dramatically depending on if you
use a lubricant and which lubricant you use - as Fred found out.  Oh
yea, the K factor is the amount of friction produced in the thread and
bolt head interfaces.

The short of it.  Like you guys are talking about - use the basic
principles of a better lubricant will increase your preload so you must
decrease your torque values.  To really know what is going on in a
system you have to use load washers to measure preload.

Happy Roadstering!

Phil
SEROC

PS:  Next subject - the application of Loctite....