RE: ARP, the result - K factors

To: <RacerY@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: ARP, the result - K factors
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:57:10 -0500
 Hey Toby -

In interesting point about helicoils is their ability to maintain
preload even after they are stripped out.  They are a spring and as the
bolt threads are loaded against it, they expand out and the sharp edges
of the helicoil grab the hole sides.  Keenserts don't have this ability
because they are a rigid structure.

Loctite - oh, Loctite.  At this point Loctite has been banned by JSC
Engineering for any critical application on Space Station due to recent
failures.  We all know it works but through extensive testing can not
iron out the sensitivities of this system.  Our data is all over the
place.  Big pow-wow next week at LaRC to figure this mess out.