Re: Gauges

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gauges
From: hallosb@juno.com
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 09:29:56 -0700
Please, don't take this wrong.  Not trying to be confrontational.  Just
trying to understand the best way to help Paul with his problem.

1. Measuring resistance at the temp or pressure sensor at various temps
and pressures makes sense.  Paul could understand what values are
expected and rule out the sensor as the source of the problem.  Just pop
off the connectors at the sensors and measure temp sender and oil sensor
resistance with the engine off and cold. Then, repeat with the engine
running and hot.

2.  I'm still having trouble understanding what you would get measuring
resistance at the gauge.  To measure resistance wouldn't you have to pop
off the connectors at the gauge?  Resistance in the gauge doesn't change
whether the pressure or temp changes.  The gauge is just reacting to the
resistance changes of the sender.

3.  Measuring voltage at the gauge makes sense because, this would change
based on the resistance values of the sending units.

Thanks,
Dan McHatton
'66 1600

On Thu, 3 May 2007 09:46:37 +0930 "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>