Re: no brake lights- suggestions?

To: Craig Halsted <chalsted@adelphia.net>, Roadster List
Subject: Re: no brake lights- suggestions?
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 20:55:53 -0500
> Craig

> could use some collective wisdom here. running lights, turnsignals, and
> flashers work but no brake lights. if I pull the 2 wires off the 2 plugs
> coming off the switch the brake pedal actuates and touch those wires
> together, shouldn't I have brake lights (checking the switch) or at any rate
> shouldn't one of those wires be hot all the time and the switch completes
> the circuit? open to suggestions....want to drive it up to Pleasantville
> saturday morning :-) if one's supposed to be hot and isn't, how hard is it
> to run a separate brake light circuit?

Maybe..., or rather usually. If the rest of the wiring both ahead of and
after the switch is okay and seeing battery voltage then shorting the two
contacts together should turn on your brake lights.

The fact that that doesn't seem to be happening indicates either no voltage
to the circuit or there's an open in the circuit before or after the switch.
That's why it's always best to check for continuity and/or voltage from one
end of the circuit or the other.

That's why it helps to have a wiring diagram and either a 12 volt test lamp,
a volt/ohm meter or both. Don't know if that helps or not, but I hope so.

Ron