Heater/coolant flow?

To: Datsun Roadster blog <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater/coolant flow?
From: Ritchie Labate <rlabate@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 23:08:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Roadies,

  Could someone please trace/outline the flow of coolant, the heater hoses in
particular, starting from the rad outlet hose? ('68 2000)

  Is it:

  rad outlet - water pump - bypass hose - T-piece - enter manifold (front head)
- exit manifold (rear head)  - short heater hose into firewall -  heater - long
heater hose out of firewall - back into T-piece?

  Questions:

  1. how can the T-piece be both the entry and return for the coolant?? I'm
really puzzled by this!!! How can there be any flow with this?

  2. To check for patency/obstruction I tried to pass a wire or blow into the
rear manifold piece (where the short heater hose connects) and met obstruction
(could not advance wire or blow). Should I have been able to? Is there a
unidirectional valve in there preventing me? (hilarious...had heart catheter
wires all over my garage and used my stethoscope to listen as the wire passed
through the front manifold... used biopsy forceps to remove some crud... can I
bill medicare for this?)

  3. Does the flow, after entering the T, make a 90 degree left into the
cylinder head or go straight under the manifold to the other end , never
actually entering the head, and exiting where I met the obstruction?

  Thanks to all replies! I've rodded my rad out, reinstalled the original
fan/shroud, and want to make sure everything else is good.

  Ritchie Labate
  '68 2000