Re: 12V Coil for Electronic Ignition

To: "John Sugar" <johnsugar@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: 12V Coil for Electronic Ignition
From: "SlowBoy" <slowboy@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 08:17:44 -0700
Here's the write up from Gary Boone that comes with the distributor.

For best performance and to get the full benefit of the new distributor, a
12-volt coil should be installed and the ballast resistor should be
permanently bypassed.  With the ballast resistor removed from the circuit, a
12-volt signal is sent to the primary windings of the coil.  The original
6-volt coil will burn out if subjected to a 12-volt signal.  The 12-volt
Nissan coil from cars with this distributor is proven and recommended.  The
Nissan part # is 22433-P7500 and its list price is about $50.  Another
option, is to buy a new aftermarket coil from your auto parts store, which
should be specified for a 1980 Nissan 210 (any of 3 engine size options).
The coils from an auto parts store may not come with a mounting bracket and
some of the aftermarket 12 volt coils are larger in diameter than the
original roadster 6 volt coil, which won't fit the original mounting
bracket. The high performance aftermarket coils to consider are the MSD
Blaster 2 coil and the Crane PS60 and both should be very reliable.  The MSD
claims to produce 45,000 volts compared to OEM of 20 to 30,000 volts and
costs $35 mail order from Summit Racing.  You can research it at
http://www.msdignition.com/  It could likely be found locally.  Crane claims
the PS60 coil will deliver 70% more energy to the spark plugs than OEM and
is $42 mail order at http://store.yahoo.com/cranecams/pspercoil.html