Charging System Part II - Good News/Bad News

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Charging System Part II - Good News/Bad News
From: Tom Ross <rossto@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 07:18:16 -0700 (PDT)
Hello and thanks to those who gave me advice on my
ammeter/alternator questions.

Here is what I've found...

1. I recharged the battery.

2. Voltage on the newly charged battery is 12.5 v when
the car is off. Ammeter centered.

3. Car started, battery still ready 12.5, maybe a
little less, ammeter slightly to the negative (drawing
off the battery - not good)

4. Turn on headlights, Ammeter more to the negative.

Conclusion... Ammeter good, Alternator bad.

Which leads to the next question... new alternator,
stock or GM as documented on 311.org. My car has
several non-stock parts, so I would be more interested
in lower price/high reliability than "correct" for the
car.  Of course ease of installation would be a plus.

Comments, experiences welcome...

Tom Ross
West Chester, PA 1970 2000 Roadster

FareChase.