RE: Electrical Capacity of a stock roadster

To: "'Jones Barton'" <jones_barton@msn.com>, "'datsun-roadsters'"
Subject: RE: Electrical Capacity of a stock roadster
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:43:16 +0930
Will the stock electrical system handle this system? From what I read it is
a 140 watt system.  Will the stock alternator handle this? Any other
suggestions?

Keith has suggested an alternator and wiring upgrade.
Absolutely essential.
I would advise you to piggyback a new 12V feed from the alternator through a
new fuse block/circuit breaker to supply your Hi-Fi.
I think the 140W is the music power output, not the 12V consumption??
Don't let that new alt. drive the existing wiring without additional
protection also.
You can fit a maxi fuse at the alternator output to limit the current fed to
the existing car wiring, while still allowing the battery to be charged
correctly.
The ammeter is a 60-0-60A device so the existing system will need to be
limited to <60A, preferably by a protective device, NOT a the wiring or the
ammeter!.
The new feed from the alternator will power the Hi-Fi via its own protective
device and thus will not overdrive the existing wiring.
I may be paranoid, but I see alternator upgrades being done quite often,
"just because I can".
Putting a nuclear power station on 40 year old wiring, designed for 30
something Amps, without any other upgrade is fraught with problems.

Don't forget, the ammeter is there to measure the CHARGE and DISCHARGE
current in relation to the BATTERY,
NOT the total electrical load on the alternator.
Your ammeter should register a slightly "+" reading when the engine is
running, indicating that the battery is on "float" [~14V] and the alternator
is doing all the hard work.
The alternator could be putting out 60+A for all we know, but the regulator
is clever enough to direct a few amps to the battery so that the next time
you turn the key to start, it will in fact crank and start.
They don't call it electrickery for nothin'.

Congrats on taking part in the Parade, it must have been a great time for
you.

3:36 PM