RE: Electrical Capacity of a stock roadster

To: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>, "'datsun-roadsters'"
Subject: RE: Electrical Capacity of a stock roadster
From: RacerY@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:06:47 +0000
Hokay- technically, if you were really dealing with 'power',
140 watts at 12 volts is something like 12 amps.
Which would tax your system mightily, especially
if you've added extra lights, etc.

But that's, pardon my French, horseshit.

A "140 watt" stereo will probably take, on average, 3 or 4 amps from your
system.

So the stock roadster can power it just fine.

BUT the way they get away with calling it a '140 watt' stereo is that it
can have PEAKS of 12 amps or more.  So you'll need big wiring
(12 gauge is plenty) to let it pull that much.  Also give it a healthy 12ga
ground
to a good, shiny spot.  Some fanatics run a ground wire back to the battery-
might be overkill, but the thinking's sound.  heh heh...

Personally, I'd connect the main power lead to the battery, with a 20a fuse.
The alternator is electrically noisy, while the battery is quiet as a...
battery?

Too many words,
Toby

From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>