Re: [Roadsters] OT: How fast do you have to be going to do this???

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] OT: How fast do you have to be going to do this???
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:47:48 -0800
Well, the speedo says 80, and I suspect that is in kph, since the accident
appears to have happened in Europe (Euro license plates on the other
vehicles and "B.V. Esmoritz" on the side of the ambulance). That would make
it about 50 mph sideways into a tree. However, since it was going sideways
and was a ways off the road, the driver had probably lifted by that time.
Since the speedo is driven by (probably) driveshaft speed, true vehicle
speed could have been higher.

I thought at first that they had cut the vehicle apart, but on second
thought, I think not. The fact that the back half of the car impacted the
other tree hard enough to seriously dent the back end would indicate that
the car hit the first tree sideways on the passenger side with enough force
to rip the engine out of the front and to separate the rear half from the
front.

Maybe I've been watching CSI too much.

Nasty crash, in any case. If you're gonna test your limits, do it at a
track.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA