Re: [Roadsters] Paint stripping

To: "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Paint stripping
From: "James Fogg" <James@jdfogg.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 17:41:39 -0500
> Very soon I will be starting the paint and primer removal process on
my
> replacement quarter panels as the first step to getting the panels
ready
> for the car.
>
> I looked at 311.org and got a little info and I am sure I will find
more
> once I narrow my search.
>
> What have any and all of you done to remove paint and original primer
> (from NOS pieces)? I was just reading about soda blasting as an
option.
> Any thoughts or experience with this process out there?
>
> Other thoughts?

You might try a chemical stripper first. In the 1980's I sometimes used
DOT3 brake fluid. I suspect the paint I was stripping was lacquer though
(or not, brake fluid on paint is a huge problem in any type of paint).
Model car and train builders have been using DOT3 as a paint stripper
for years.

If you use brake fluid, a religious cleansing is suggested to prevent
future paint failure.

Brake fluid will aggressively suck all moisture from your skin, so use
gloves.