Re: [Roadsters] Paint stripping

To: "Tim" <tputland@charter.net>, "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Paint stripping
From: "E Scanlon" <escanlon@wa-net.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:24:57 -0800
Nissanman on 311s.org posted a very interesting article regarding Soda
Blasting cars and the problems that ensue with paint adhesion.  In very
brief summary: you must very carefully neutralize the residue or paint will
literally peel off.  Soda's claim to fame comes from it's ability to not
warp panels due to abrasion heat and not requiring excessively high
pressures to achieve paint removal.  I've not used it so do your own
research before jumping onto it.  The gist of the article Nissanman posed
was that it was NOT as much of a blessing as it appears to be.

While you also have to be careful, in many respects good old Aircraft
Stripper (that's it's product name) which is in the long run cheaper than
the JASCO Paint Stripper, although either one will work, will do the job
well, and thoroughly.  You may have to re-apply it and ANY bondo or filler
(red cap, primer, fiberglass, etc.) will be rendered contaminated and
unuseable.  Simply put, this is to STRIP to the metal...as that's the only
thing Stripper will not attack.  Biggest drawback...chemical burns, and
bluntly, potentially hazardous waste.  However, it generally does become
inert with water, problem is that you should not just let the water runoff
go unchecked.  (There, I've said my piece, you do as you choose and I'll let
the tree huggers and Agent Orange lovers battle it out in their own post.)

Personally, I've used a combination of Stripper, Sand-Blaster (generates a
lot of dust, but debris is generally sweepable with a broom), and 3M Roloc
Abrasive Discs and Wheels (Fingers) to remove paint AND rust.

FWIW

From: "Tim"