Re: [Roadsters] 68-70 soft top frame question - dial up users,

To: "'Larry Dziuba'" <roadster68@shaw.ca>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 68-70 soft top frame question - dial up users,
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:54:30 -0500
Larry,
This is long, but hopefully informative.

This is MUCH easier on a vinyl top than a canvas one. It's also easier in a
WARM garage. I have canvas and don't have a garage. I wait for a warm day or
drag a 100 ft ext cord and a blow dryer out to the car.

Center guide pin is CRUCIAL to proper function and safety. I pull forward
then down on the bow to latch the center latch first, and then latch the
outer (L&R) ones. Also, I don't connect the last two "posties" or the last
"twisty" (nearest the door) until I have the front of the top latched down
tight. This gives you a little "play". I have replaced the front rubber seal
and yes, it is dense. It needs to be. I actually replaced it twice, because
I didn't CLOSELY follow the instructions for the adhesive the first time and
screwed everything up. That little lip on the "inner bow" is there to guide
you to where the seal goes, as well as weather seal the top. Air under the
front lip of the top can be DISASTEROUS. It gets easier to use over time,
and with practice, believe me.

In answer to your question, it depends on who installed the top onto the
front bow. Mine is somewhat glued (a little on the leading edge and under
the "inner bow". The front of the top is connected to the bow primarily by
way of the "inner bow" (Steel strip with several screws). If your top came
from another car, it SHOULD work. If it's a new top that was recently
attached to the frame, my only suggestion would be to make the installer fix
it. It's nearly impossible to put a new top on a frame without the car being
there. If they tried, they were wrong. I purchased a complete top/frame
combo from Craig H. and had it UPS'd to me. It had previously been on
another car and fit fine, in other words... tight!

The front of the top is more crucial to proper operation than the rear. It's
much easier to stretch a little bit at a time, to hit the posties or
twisties, than to stretch the whole front of the top at once.

Try attaching the rear bow and rear 2 twisties on either side (to avoid
rips). Then attach the front clips. Then tug and pull to get the posties and
last twisty in place. If you can't do this, your top is possibly installed
too tightly on the frame.

I also carry a 1" C-clamp and snug down my center latch before I get on the
interstate. It gets installed in a U position, points up, since scratches on
the latch are MUCH easier to live with than no top!

It tends to "pop loose" otherwise at about 80 MPH, and scares the CRAP out
of you the first few times! Not to mention that it isn't good for the bow,
top, OR your SHORTS!

Losing a rag top at 70-80 MPH would certainly ruin your day. Mine popped
loose on I-75 during a rain storm on the way to Mitty '06 (had extra shorts
with me, thank GOD!!). I drove very slowly to the next off-ramp where there
was a Home Depot. :-)

Finally, buy a car cover for emergencies!!! LOL!

Matt Smith