[Roadsters] smog plugs, useful

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, "peter harrison"
Subject: [Roadsters] smog plugs, useful
From: "Fergus OFarrell" <fergus06@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:54:56 -0800
Peter,
useful if you have removed your smog equipment.
I have the aforementioned plumbing plugs installed in my head (well, the
roadsters, but some would question), and whenever I go on a fun run, when I
floor it and go racing up close to someone, they later mention an interesting
sound, much liuke pressing the 6 button on a touch tone phone.  an audible
CHIRP at WOT.
Musicians notice it, at idle, as well.  I, personally, have used too many
power tools and played in a band for too long, so it is lost on me, or every
time I "WOT", I am grinning so large my ears are masked from the sound!
Performance loss?  well, this could be debated.  the chirp persists, so that
unfilled cavity isn't filling with carbon.
When you pull your head for valve work, you can have this cavity filled.
Otherwise, probably be worth it.
Plumbing plugs are made of brass, so as they heat up they grow faster than the
head hole they are in, so leaks usually don't happen.
I bought a similar set of "Tom Walter" plugs way back when, but have been
afraid to pull the plumbing plugs, (which are a 'pretty-close' plumbing
thread, so effectively cross-thread the hole) cause if the TW plugs didn't go
in, I'd be snookered into a lot of work.
Fergus O'Frugal, 69 2000 on a budget, HB, CA