Re: [Roadsters] Alternator w/ regulator

To: "rick celis" <dcon48@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Alternator w/ regulator
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:16:49 -0800
Rick,

There are articles about installing a 63 Amp GM alternator on your car on
311s.org.  I have a detailed description of my installation on the TECH page
of datsun2000.com.  This is a very good modification.  Especially if you are
thinking about adding a modern radio or headlights that draw more power from
the battery.  The original alternator is just enough for the car.  The GM
gives you all kinds of room to add current devouring devices.

I purchased my alternator from a wrecking yard for $20.00 and probably spent
more than that for the inline fuse holder and other misc. stuff.  In the end
I sacrificed one of my wife's nylon cutting boards to make a fuse and relay
mounting panel under the hood, and a mount for the alarm and audip power amp
in the trunk.  The relays are for headlight wiring upgrades.  When I made
the insulated mounting panels I included a 1/4" stud to act as a post to
make all of the electrical connections, both under the hood and in the
trunk.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland