Re: [Roadsters] Death Rattle? Input DESPERATELY requested

To: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Death Rattle? Input DESPERATELY requested
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:19:55 -0800
First, are you sure that it isn't a valve adjustment problem? Also, are you
low on oil? Check that before you panic.

As to the shims, I made a set of shims from some standard hardware store
washers. I did have to grind off one side so they would fit, since the
tensioner shaft is fairly close to the engine side of the tensioner block.
Unfortunately I can't find those shims, so I can't tell you for sure what
size they were.

But I did take some measurements that might help. The tensioner shaft is
0.565" OD. That puts it between 9/16" (0.5625) and 19/32" (0.5937), so if
you can find some 19/32" ID washers at the hardware store, you can fake it
with those.

I also found a set of custom shims in my stuff. I think I got them from Dick
Tillinger many years ago (I really should get my garage organized). These
shims have an ID of 0.60" and an OD of 0.90", so those are the dimensions
you are shooting for.

I would advise addressing this as soon as possible. If it is making noise
all the time (and it isn't valve adjustment), that's not a good thing.

If you can wait a few days, I can send you the set of shims and a couple of
tensioner gaskets. I just can't get them in the mail before Monday. If you
want to do that, reply to me offline with your mailing address.

Gordon