Re: [Roadsters] Death Rattle? Input DESPERATELY requested

To: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Death Rattle? Input DESPERATELY requested
From: "robert k. smith" <rksmith46@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:50:11 -0500
hi matt, have you tried replacing the upper tens., in case it is bad ? with
that much slack, it  appears the chain is stretched, and i wouldnt recommend
driving it until you fix the prob. if the  chain breaks, then you bend at
least 2 valves. if the chain was recently replaced, then, instead of chain
stretch, you might have too thin of a head (machined too much). if the chain
is new, then you can get shims to go under the cam towers, to remove some of
the slack. you can do this, of course, without removing the head.

                                  good luck, bob smith, 69 srl 311> From:
matthews517@earthlink.net> To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> Date: Sat, 26
Jan 2008 15:51:47 -0500> Subject: [Roadsters] Death Rattle? Input DESPERATELY
requested> > Hi folks,> > Loreli's U20 "heart" has begun to have a "murmur". I
noticed a rather loud> noise (this came after a few days of having "fun" on
some wet streets and> parking lots). This isn't a little rattle at start up
then disappears, as> Gordon's site suggests. (Thank you Gordon, I LOVE your
Garage!). This is a> somewhat more serious problem I fear. > > I have a noise
that is coming from the front-top of the engine. I pulled the> valve cover,
used tin foil as a temp valve cover to avoid the spray of oil,> and now am
convinced that this sound is coming from the upper timing chain> area. I used
Gordon's suggestion on rolling backwards in second gear, and> confirmed that
the chain touches the "Evil-L" (and still has a little> slack). There is still
over a 1/3 inch of piston showing on the tensioner> with the "tight" side of
the chain being ON the tensioner. Here are my> questions:> > > > What ID and
OD washers should I be looking for to temporarily fix this issue> (shims)? > >
> > Do I have a month or two of limited/normal driving (50-100 miles per
week?)> prior to replacement of the chain? I go back to work on Monday after
6> months off. I need a temp fix AND a month or two to get back to
"financially> solvent".> > > > Can I make my own gasket (temporary) from some
paper gasket material?> > Your help desperately needed ASAP!!!> > Matt>