[Roadsters] Death Rattle? Input DESPERATELY requested

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Death Rattle? Input DESPERATELY requested
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:51:47 -0500
Hi folks,

Loreli's U20 "heart" has begun to have a "murmur". I noticed a rather loud
noise (this came after a few days of having "fun" on some wet streets and
parking lots). This isn't a little rattle at start up then disappears, as
Gordon's site suggests. (Thank you Gordon, I LOVE your Garage!). This is a
somewhat more serious problem I fear.

I have a noise that is coming from the front-top of the engine. I pulled the
valve cover, used tin foil as a temp valve cover to avoid the spray of oil,
and now am convinced that this sound is coming from the upper timing chain
area. I used Gordon's suggestion on rolling backwards in second gear, and
confirmed that the chain touches the "Evil-L" (and still has a little
slack). There is still over a 1/3 inch of piston showing on the tensioner
with the "tight" side of the chain being ON the tensioner.  Here are my
questions:

What ID and OD washers should I be looking for to temporarily fix this issue
(shims)?

Do I have a month or two of limited/normal driving (50-100 miles per week?)
prior to replacement of the chain? I go back to work on Monday after 6
months off. I need a temp fix AND a month or two to get back to "financially
solvent".

Can I make my own gasket (temporary) from some paper gasket material?

Your help desperately needed ASAP!!!

Matt