Re: [Roadsters] looking for a distributor testing machine

To: <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <davesmbox@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] looking for a distributor testing machine
From: "Bubba" <bubwin@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:45:10 -0500
The old engine analyzers did use oscilloscope, but there were actual
machines to test distributors.  Years ago I actually had one until it died,
and I couldn't beg, borrow, steal, make or customize any of the parts
needed.  I kept it for several years until I needed the bench space.

Distributor testers were a form of machine that you clamped the distributor
in and you could spin the distributor shaft, and adjust the speed from an
idle speed to several thousand RPM.  There were meters mounted on it that
read the RPM and dwell angle (the # of degrees of rotation that the points
were closed).

It also had a vacuum pump to connect to the vacuum advance, and a strobe
light which showed where in the rotation the points opened (distributor
timing).  You could actually set the points while it turned, as you ran it
without cap or rotor by observing the dwell reading.  Dwell reading is more
accurate than point gap.

By running the distributor on the machine you could measure the amount of
vacuum advance, mechanical advance (centrifugal), or total advance (vacuum
and mechanical).  If you were testing different counter-weights and springs
on a mechanical advance, you could do so quickly, easily, and without
bending over a fender and trying to read your timing marks.  On vehicles
with adjustable vacuum advance, adjustments were quick as well.

You could set up a basic distributor in minutes.  Sometimes you could use a
strobe light, and even watch for movement in the distributor shaft through
various RPM ranges, which was great to diagnose worn bushings.

AAAAHHHHHH the good old days, when cars were cars, men for men, and onboard
computers were science fiction.

Bob Winslade
1966-1600 Missy
1967-1600 Bender