[Roadsters] OT: daily driver smog check results,

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] OT: daily driver smog check results,
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:54:50 -0500
Okay engine exhaust gas experts, I took my car in for a CA smog check
yesterday (meaning they put it on a dyno and run it at 15mph and 25mph),
and figured it'd pass no problem, so while I due religious regular
maintenance, it does have 102k miles and I haven't changed the plugs in
3 years or so. (~45k miles)
Brand new air filter.    Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V-6 (5GZFE engine, from
memory), auto trans, 2wd, 4 door (like that makes a difference).

So here is what I got for results:  (it passed, but a few were "by a
hair", see below)

15mph, 1729 rpm:   %CO2:  15.0,  %02: 0.0
25mph,  1751 rpm:  %CO2:  15.1,  %02:  0.0

And the 3 tested (pass/fail) readings
Measured------- Average for Passing Vehicles----------Max Allowed

HC (ppm):
15mph:    47------4-------51  (**)
25mph:   19-------4-------35
CO (%):
15mph:  0.14-----0.00------0.65
25mph: 0.02------0.01------0.79
NO (ppm):
15mph:  510-------18-------512  (**)
25mph:  168-------16-------765

The two with asterisks are the ones I am most concerned about.  Any
suggestions on what to do for next test (reg for 2010)?

Note: on a sideline, on the recent Iron Bottom, I met someone who was
driving a '79 stock midget, and when I asked him about smog, he said
he'd get "the new additive from CRC that nearly guarantees passing
numbers".  He intimated it was like "solvent in a can", not sure, never
heard of it, but thought I would throw it out there as an idea /
research opportunity for those who have one "on the edge".

Thanks for the help, looking forward to seeing y'all in Solvang,
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA