Re: [Roadsters] OT: daily driver smog check results,

To: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] OT: daily driver smog check results,
From: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 07:57:48 -0700 (PDT)
Aren't Roadsters exempt from biennial checks in California due to their age?

 Gary McCormick
 San Jose, CA

"O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com> wrote: Okay engine exhaust gas
experts, I took my car in for a CA smog check
yesterday (meaning they put it on a dyno and run it at 15mph and 25mph),
and figured it'd pass no problem, so while I due religious regular
maintenance, it does have 102k miles and I haven't changed the plugs in
3 years or so. (~45k miles)
Brand new air filter.    Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V-6 (5GZFE engine, from
memory), auto trans, 2wd, 4 door (like that makes a difference).

So here is what I got for results:  (it passed, but a few were "by a
hair", see below)

15mph, 1729 rpm:   %CO2:  15.0,  %02: 0.0
25mph,  1751 rpm:  %CO2:  15.1,  %02:  0.0

And the 3 tested (pass/fail) readings
Measured------- Average for Passing Vehicles----------Max Allowed

HC (ppm):
15mph:    47------4-------51  (**)
25mph:   19-------4-------35
CO (%):
15mph:  0.14-----0.00------0.65
25mph: 0.02------0.01------0.79
NO (ppm):
15mph:  510-------18-------512  (**)
25mph:  168-------16-------765

The two with asterisks are the ones I am most concerned about.  Any
suggestions on what to do for next test (reg for 2010)?

Note: on a sideline, on the recent Iron Bottom, I met someone who was
driving a '79 stock midget, and when I asked him about smog, he said
he'd get "the new additive from CRC that nearly guarantees passing
numbers".  He intimated it was like "solvent in a can", not sure, never
heard of it, but thought I would throw it out there as an idea /
research opportunity for those who have one "on the edge".

Thanks for the help, looking forward to seeing y'all in Solvang,
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA
You are subscribed as gkmcc@sbcglobal.net