Re: [Roadsters] OT: Spelling

To: "Hall, Phillip B. \(MSFC-ED03\)" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov>, MH
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] OT: Spelling
From: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:49:08 -0700 (PDT)
An old-timer with whom I worked when I was a youngster (I guess that I qualify
as an "old-timer" now, come to think of it - with 27 years as an engineer under
my belt...) was a notoriously bad speller. He came up in the profession in the
days when you wrote out letters and reports by hand, and they were typed by a
secretary - who knew how to spell.

I like to think that I am the exception that proves the rule ("prove" from the
Latin "probat", meaning test...) - I scored in the 99th percentile on the SAT
in English, and once, when I pointed out an obscure error in grammar in a
company publication to a senior tech writer (who is a former high school
English teacher), was asked - "Are you sure that you're an engineer?"

Correct spelling and proper grammar are dropping by the wayside in the modern
world, unfortunately. Even folks who use words for a living - television
commentators (especially sports commentators) and the like - rarely have a
strong grasp of the fundamentals of the language (Every time I hear some
talking head on the boob tube say, "He played good out there today", I want to
scream.)

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA

"Hall, Phillip B. (MSFC-ED03)" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov> wrote:  I think it is
a "left brain - right brain" thing.  Engineers can not
spell well - this one included.  If it was not for spell-check people
would have good time with me:)

I am generally pretty creative, but I do have "gaps".  I started taking
guitar lessons and this has really helped exercise the left brain.  I am
finding my designs come easier and more often.  Now if I had the time to
build all this stuff....

Have a great Roadster week everyone!

Phil
SEROC