Re: [Roadsters] OT: Spelling

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] OT: Spelling
From: AffordPlbg@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 02:09:05 EDT
Hi all,

This is Nancy, Gary Wasserman's wife. I usually have no interest in  anything
written on this list.  Tonight, however, Gary called me  in and said, "Honey,
there's something here I think you'll want to read."   Well, I've read every
response and haven't stopped smiling yet!

My father's nickname is "The Chief of the Grammar Police" and I am my
father's daughter!  Misspelled words jump out at me when I'm reading  anything.
can't enjoy a nice restaurant meal without finding typos on  the menu.  I want
to take photos of store signs that have misspellings,  because I think they're
so ridiculous.

Gary and I recently hired a tile installer to do some work at our  house.  He
gave me several contracts to read and sign, and I found many  mistakes on
each one.  Of course, I had to point them out to him!   Even his newly printed
business card had the word "buisness" on it, and although  he said he asked
many
people to proof it, nobody caught it.  How can this  be?

Besides "its" versus "it's," I think my biggest pet peeve is the misuse of
the word I.  Yes, we all learn in school that one does not say, "Me and  Gary
went to the park," but rather "Gary and I went to the park."  Unless  the "I"
is part of the object, however, the use of the word "me" is usually  correct.
"She went to the park with Gary and I" is not right.  The  way one checks is
to take away the other person.  You wouldn't say, "She  went to the park with
I," but rather, "She went to the park with me."  So,  the correct sentence is,
"She went to the park with Gary and me."

Okay, I'm through boring you.  I just thought I'd put in my two  cents.
Thanks for talking about something besides Datsun Roadsters for a  change.

Nancy Person (Yes, I am a teacher)

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.