Re: [Roadsters] Starter Problem Continued

To: matthew peterson <pete_303@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Starter Problem Continued
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 11:11:37 -0700
> ...my question is, should the bendix gear be spinning full speed the
> whole time or should it speed up after it engages the flywheel?...
>
> Any thoughts?

Yeah - something's broken :-)

The solenoid has two purposes: To engage the bendix, and to
turn on the starter. It's an electromagnetic plunger - it's a coil
of wire and when you apply power to it, it pulls in a metal rod
that's attached via a fork (like your clutch fork, kinda) that pushes
the bendix gear out and into engagement with the flywheel. As
the rod bottoms out, it presses a graphite disk against two hefty
contacts and applies power to the starter windings.

So if everything is OK, the starter shouldn't spin until the gear
extends into the nose.

I'm thinking there's something broken with the fork, or maybe the
pivot pin that retains the fork is bent or broken.

-- John