Re: [Roadsters] Ethics - was: Best source for selling a roadster

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, "NotMGB" <notmgb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Ethics - was: Best source for selling a roadster
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 19:58:29 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: NotMGB <notmgb@gmail.com>

> I am wondering exactly what is ethical myself.
>
> Is it ethical to say on the 28th
> selling parts is not a profit making venture, it merely offsets the
> expenses of having a roadster  obsession, a labor of love. if you folks
>don't have the decency, honesty, and integrity to appreciate that
>
> And say a week later:
>
> playing with roadsters is my sole source of income, I'm an old white
> haired retired guy ;-)

  Craig sells roadster parts for fun, makes a living off of buying and
selling cars, boats, motorcycles, motorhomes, and darn near anything else.
Nothing unethical there.

> Is it ethical to tell the woman in Redding you will give her car a
> good home, then tell the list you were going to use it to re-body
> another car?

  So maybe he should have said HOMES.  But most of the car would have staid
intact.

> Is it ethical to say you have been looking for a 67.5 body for the
> last 20 years, when you have had some at your house in the last 2
> years?

  Craig has many roadsters at his place.  But most suffer from east coast
ravages of rust.  He has been looking for a 'great' body for his 67.5 since
I've known him (10+ years).

> Is it ethical to buy a 67 2000 on the list for $4K with rare parts an
> offer it up on the same list 3 weeks later for $4K without the parts?

  Please, he paid the asking price for the car.  Nothing even remotely
unethical about that.  I suppose if WalMart was selling something at a
fraction of what you thought it was worth, you'd argue with them to pay
more?
  Asking price is always set by the sellier.  Selling price is negotiated
between buyer and seller.  I see nothing unethical with that either.  Sort
of sounds like American way!

> Can someone clear this ethics thing up for me?

  Ethics is what you do when some one is watching.  Morals are what you do
when nobody is watching.  Craig knows his market and works hard to make a
living while having fun.  Anything else I can help you with?

Paul
Ohio