Re: [Roadsters] BBQ

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] BBQ
From: "Kevin McDonald" <ktmaustin@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 21:20:14 -0500
Looks like I started a major off-topic thread.
Apologies to the list admin.

As long as were at it...
What is BarBQ in your area?
In Texas it is anything that can fit on your grill.
Any kind of ribs, brisket, chicken, sausage, and if your a real Texan wild
game that you killed with your own intensely cool weapons.
(The meat is on the grill - now you seize the moment to show your buddies
the latest rifle mods..)
Veggies are fine - load up in tin foil with butter and your favorite
seasonings.

I've heard that in the SEC BarBQ may have to be pork.
In Texas were an open minded state.
If you can kill it you can grill it.

Gas is for pretenders.
Charcoal has some respect.
Real BarBQers use wood of course.
Beans are best with ham hocks.
Ribs take 6-8 hours at 175-225 degrees.
Brisket up to 12 hours.
A real BarBQer can drink heavily and still wake up at 4AM to load and
monitor the grill.

A major plus is a Diesel truck with a custom made trailer with a rough hewn
cast iron pit in the shape of your favorite BIG12 logo.

The Salt Lick is a favorite place.
Basically a set of old farm buildings with all you can eat pricing.
The county or area were it is located is dry so you have to bring your own
alcohol (Oh darn).
I've seen many coolers of beer and many bottles of brown whisky looking
stuff there.
But I've never seen any wine...
Kevin