[Roadsters] Advice requested...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Advice requested...
From: David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 14:10:20 -1000
Hi,

I've recently inherited a 1968 Datsun 1600 from my father who recently
passed away (some of you may have interacted with him, he posted on
this mailing list as konadave1@hawaii.rr.com).  The car is in
reasonably good shape, although it has suffered a bit because my dad's
health prior to his death precluded him driving it for a couple of
years.  It is drivable but has a few known problems, e.g., the horn
and windshield wipers don't work and both the front left and rear
right brakes are sticking.  As far as I can tell, aside from a few
bubbles, there isn't a lot of rust (which is surprising given it is
located in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii) and runs, albeit a bit rough.  I took
it to a garage in Kona, but they didn't have the expertise to do
anything other than the inspection I needed to get the title changed
and re-registered ("Carburetors? Haven't seen those in a while.").

Due to time limitatinos as a result of my job and the lack of a garage
(and frankly, a lack of talent working on cars), I am not in a good
position to fix the various issues at this point in time.  I live in
the San Francisco bay area and I am thinking about shipping it to
California from Hawaii, but don't really know where to start about
getting it worked on.  My dad always spoke highly of this list, so I'd
appreciate any suggestions the assembled experts here might offer on
what I should do with it.

To be clear, I have no interest in selling the car.  Ideally, I'd like
to get it into mint condition to honor my dad, however I haven't the
slightest idea how much something like that would cost...

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Thanks,
David R(andolph) Conrad
'68 Datsun 1600