Re: [Roadsters] Brake rotors

To: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Brake rotors
From: Eddie <eddietude@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 14:20:24 -0700
Ummm, these are BRAKES we're talking about.  I wouldn't be so quick to
"weld repair" brake components.  Imagine tooling down the freeway at
65mph, and suddenly one of your break rotors explode because the metal
was weakened by welding and grinding...

Not a good scenario.

It's one thing to use, say, Volvo rotors and turn them down.  OR to use
or make aftermarket rotors.  But welding and grinding an existing
rotor?  Sounds like a recipe for disaster.  You run the risk of
weakening the metal in a pretty critical component, which, if it fails,
could cause a serious accident.

IF a welded engine part goes, you blow the motor.  A risk of crashing?
Yeah, sure, MAYBE.  If you don't know how to handle a rear wheel skid,
AND you don't keep your cool and simply press the clutch in to disengage
the rear end, MAYBE you'll crash.

BUT, if a welded BRAKE component goes, you'd be lucky if you didn't crash!

Just my 2 cents... which isn't even worth half of that...

Eddie