Re: [Roadsters] High RPMs -- How do I get them?

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] High RPMs -- How do I get them?
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 20:25:19 -0500
> Nathaniel Leeds

> Now that my little 6700 rpm, 240Z, high speed oil slick adventure is behind
> me (it was the oil pan deciding that it was a good time to teach me to use
> loc-tight when putting on an oil pan) I have been thinking about getting
> back into the high RPMs again.
>
> Not knowing much, I did a web search, and noticed that a lot of race cars
do
> things to their lubrication systems and that also a lot or race cars have
> really high red-lines. B Are the two connected? B And, more importantly,
what
> can I do with my stock engine to push the redline higher?
>
> Has anyone had any experience with accumulators and fancy lubrication
> systems that they would like to share.

The race cars you're reading about have high redlines because the
engines are built and set up for max power, which in small
displacement engines comes at the expense of low and mid range power
and torque. You really don't need or want to do this on a street
oriented engine. On a street or even a street/track car you want a
strong low end because that's where the engines going to operate most
of the time. After the initial bloom has worn off the newness of a
high revver (usually about 30 minutes!) you'll hate it. The car will
be hard to get moving and will be gutless. Trust me, BTDT.

As far as the oil systems are concerned, in a car that experience high
G loads you need to do everything you can to keep the oil pickup
submerged in oil so you don't loose oil pressure and/or run the
bearings dry. All sorts of bad things occur when that happen, all of
them expensive. That's one of the primary reason for the accumulators.
They maintain oil pressure for a short period of time if the oil pump
can't.

Bottom line, on a primarily street driven car you want low and mid
range torque, not high RPM horsepower, and if you have a properly
working stock oil pump, your pan is in good shape and the oil level is
where it should be you don't need to worry about an accumulator.

HTH,
Ron