Re: [Roadsters] What's it worth??

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>, "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] What's it worth??
From: nmleeds@mindspring.com
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:43:39 -0400 (EDT)
There's a big difference between "ran when parked" and "runs now."  If you
seller is so confident that new fluids, plugs, gas tank cleaning, and tinkering
with the carb will get it running why don't you suggest that you would pay
$1,500 - $2,500 (depending on condition) for it "as is" or $2,500 - $5,000 for
it running.

The "refresh" can end up being a lot more expensive then you would expect,
particularly if the car was not carefully stored.  Here are some of the
questions I'd ask: 1) was the engine filled with oil (all the way up to the top
of the valve cover) when parked -- if not, take off the valve cover and check
for rust in the head -- bad rust and you'll need a rebuild; 2) was it stored on
blocks or on the grounds -- if stored on the ground you can expect that you'll
need to attend to the shocks, tires, and possibly other suspension parts 3) was
it stored in a animal friendly, or unfriendly environment -- mice love wires --
an "open field" storage could have turned the car into the home for destructive
menagerie of wire, cushion, and vinyl and leather eating creatures.

I had a car once with mice living in the doors (yep, you can imagine that
cleaning job) wires eaten, a rusty cam and every rubber part of the suspension
either hardened or powdered.  A "freshen up" didn't even begin to cover it.