Re: [Roadsters] New Transmission in, now a few questions

To: "Hoon Kim" <hoon@pixar.com>, "Roadster mailist"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] New Transmission in, now a few questions
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 21:44:11 -0500
Hoon,

I have a '66 1600 which I bought from the original owner in 1971.  The
original speedometer went out of calibration -- at 75 mph it read 100.  I
had it professionally recalibrated, and it slowly went out again.  Back when
speedos were a lot cheaper, I went through two more new ones.  Now I drive
by the tach:  With my 3.90 rear end and 185/70 R14 tires, 4000 rpm in 4th is
about 78 mph.

If you have a GPS unit, or can borrow one, which gives speed readings, you
can "calibrate" yourself at various engine speeds in various gears.  Should
be close enough if you're not Speed Racer.

Check both Dean's and Dann's websites.  I think both have various pinion
gears for sale.  But don't be surprised if the correct pinion gear does not
solve your problem.

If anyone out there knows of someone who can calibrate early speedos so they
stay in calibration longer than a year or so, I love to hear about them.

Gary
(219) 322-1923
'66 1600/U20 SPL311-05917
'67 2000 Solex SRL311-00428